Getting a job is like getting a date.
- There may or may not be rules to it.
- It may or may not be fair.
- They may be so desperate it doesn't matter what you say. But do you want to hook up with someone who's desperate?
- Or maybe it doesn't matter what you say because they've decided the answer is "no" before you opened your mouth.
- The more in-demand you are, the more choosy you can afford to be. But if you want to get this job -- or this date -- then you're probably going to have to say what they want to hear. Good luck figuring out what that is.